06 September 2005

My new fav show!

OK - I admit, I am a TV junkie. In my younger days, I was the one who knew every dial setting on our cable box, back in the day when you had 13 channels regular, 13 A channels and 13 B channels... For example, B11 was MTV, if I'm not mistaken.

Then came the VCR -- I remember the day we got our first one. My gramma and grandpa were way ahead of us with a remote control and 2 VCRs. It was one of those VCRs again, with only 11 channels, that had to be programmed into the machine by opening the little hatch and tediously turning a little wheel to get the right channel.

Next, we got a TV in the basement, this was our second TV, and I lived for Sunday nights. With 21 Jump Street (Hottie Johnny Depp!) Jump, down on jump street/ Your friends will be there when your back is to the wall. /You'll find you'll need us cause there's no one else to call. /
When it was hopeless a decision is what you need. /You'd better be ready to, be ready to jump. /21 Jump Street. Sorry... got stuck in a lyric time warp there... Where was I? Oh, Sunday's on Fox, with Tracy Ullman, Simpsons before they were their own show, and Married with Children - later on, when Fox broadcasted more than one night -- 90210

Away went the floor model of the TV, and an actual Entertainment center was purchased, cable came into the vcr, nixed the cable box, and rock on Dial MTV!

At college, 1pm local time was always free because I had to get my Days fix on. (Can you believe John and his expressions!) Oh, and 90210.

Moved to the big I, and after a few deals with sattelites, cables, and other, um, semi-illegal forms of getting free TV shows, we now have the greatest invention since the pencil (sliced bread is so cliche) TIVO... I love my TIVO... I can't live without my TIVO. I can't imagine living without it. All Izzy knows is TIVO... programs get "deleted" rather than erased, or taped over - she'll never know that concept!

Ahh, such is life. We even have the Media center on our computer (not as good as TIVO but it is handy.) Back to my original topic... my new favorite show is Gilmore Girls... it's witty, funny, and I can TIVO all of the reruns to catch up! Did you know it's filmed in the same spot as Dukes of Hazzard!

Happy TV watching!!!!

3 comments:

Blake said...

I loved all the shows you mentioned. And for me, even as a straight male, Richard Grieco is the memorable face from 21 Jump Street. I even mentioned him in my blog today, in a weird coincidence.

Blake

Design Goddess said...

I'm glad I could turn you on to such a great show! I love the witty banter. The writing is just terrific. It reminds me of Arrested Development...another must see!

You were the first person I knew who had a VCR, Mary was the first I knew who had cable and a laser disk player, now THAT was cutting edge technology!

BTW, what's on your desktop?

John Bryson said...

My whole life is meaningless without TV.