23 August 2007

School School and School

So - it's day 2 for me, and countdown 3 days to Izzy's first day. We met the teacher at her school... I must say, the educational system has certainly improved since my day. First, the building she is in is pretty new - very clean, open and kid friendly (low sinks, low fountains, colorful - etc.) I was surprised to see that the classrooms all had sinks in them... back in my day - we actually had to go to the bathroom to wash up! Depending on what classroom you were in, you either had to go right downstairs or allllll the way to the other side of the building and then downstairs to use the loo.

The teacher seems pretty nice - Izzy has about 25 kids in her class - a goodly number! There is a huge playground as well -- the most important thing about school you know! We found her roomy desk and cubby hole stocked with the Science and Math (Ohio standards edition -- train 'em early for the tests!) text books.

I think back to my first grade, which was in the newer "wing" of our school -- DG can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think our class was the first one to use the first grade room? In any case, there was new carpet in the room, and it didn't take me long to mess it up. See - we watched the telly for some daily (or weekly - I guess, my 6 year old brain doesn't really remember that part) exercises. But I knew I wasn't feeling well and Sr. Marie Rosaire had me do the exercises anyway -- as I was completing a round of toe touches - up came me breakfast and the carpet was never the same since. I'm sure they have replaced it since in the 26 years since I've been in first grade! Oh, and the spooky staircase behind the cloak room (as Sister called it )I always thought it was haunted. Like an escape hatch or something. LOts of things in that school kind of scared me (the talking Mary statue but that's another story.)

Ahhh the joys of school! (PS - see my very first post for more on what life was like in elementary school.

2 comments:

Design Goddess said...

I do believe we were the first class in that room since we moved to the "big school" from the "little school" after Kindergarten.

I felt bad for you that day even though it was kinda funny since you told her you weren't feeling well and then she yelled at you when you yakked!

Yes, let's not go to the talking Mary Statue. I don't think blog land can handle it! :D

Anonymous said...

Well written article.