28 August 2005

Amazing Praying Mantis Eats Cicada

Izzy and I were in the front yard, getting ready to load up the trailer. We hear the familiar zzzzxxxzzzzzzxxxzzzzxxxxzzzzzxxxx signaling a cicada was close - very close. We found the source, and it appeared to be upside down. Now, coming in for a closer look, I see one of the largest praying mantis I have ever witnessed! Normally, they are maybe an inch in length. This one had to be at least 4 inches, maybe 5. Hanging upside down, with the cicada in its massive grip. The head was busy sucking out what appeared to be the brains of the cicada who was dying what had to be a painful death being eaten alive. But hey, watching Wild Kingdom with my dad all of those years ago must have paid off, as this was truely an act of the survival of the fittest.
This shows off the praying mantis. I am pretty sure the other bug was a cicada, but I'm no entomologist.

Better shot - Next to the red leaf is the head.

Looking closly, you can see the huge wings of the cicada.

Izzy thought it was huge, and the thing had long wings. The thing that was trapped.


Other cool praying mantis links:

And I thought my Cicada was impressive

Haiii-ya!

Rock On

Not for the squeamish

1 comment:

B said...

As creepy as this post is (ewwww factor of 5)consider yourself lucky, since I believe the Praying Mantis is on the endangered list...he's just makin' a living.