07 January 2007

Thank you: corporate conglomerate convenience

Yikes.... I guess taking a few months off is not always a good thing. When I decided to come back to reality and check some email, I find that I can't log in to one particular account. It's my junk mail account, but it's tied to a bunch of other accounts in this woven world of the web. So it's saying that the user name and password don't exist. Tried all of my usual passwords - no such luck. As this is one of my first email accounts - I've had it for about 9-10 years- I think I'd know the password!

Well, I try my alternate email and get a note, actually 2, that my password has been changed, yet, no mention of the new password. Mind you this was in December, on my self imposed internet sabbatical. How could it have been changed?

Due to corporate conglomerate "convenience", when I use our internet email, which is linked also to the account as a back up email, I can't log in as "me." I have a few differnet email address, but when the services I've had separately for several years, decide to combine, It's not recognizing ME! So when I follow the link provided in the "password changed" email, it automatically logs me in from the account I'm checking it from, NOT the accout that's supposedly been changed. (Thanks, Att/Sbc/cingular/Dsl/Yahoo)

Confused? Join the club. Oh, and that secondary email, well, that's not working now either, since I'm guessing that whenever my password was supposedly changed, my back up email was altered as well. See, I've figured out that after about a hundred attempts to log in, the account is locked. I have yet to recieve the "unlock" email that was sent to my back up account.

This is just crazy. I've said for years that the internet and computers will be the downfall of civilization. But this is just getting downright spooky how all of the infomation is linked together - easily searchable, and not that easy to fix when you are dealing with semi-"intelligent" computers!

Don't even get me started on the conspiracy angle to the story (I could go on for days on that, but I might be giving "them" ideas.)

3 comments:

Design Goddess said...

I think they're just after you, really. That's the only conspiracy theory I can think of actually. :)

Melanie Miday-Stern said...

Someone is out to get us w/ these silly computers. I know exactly what you are saying b/c I have had that happen to me too.

HUGS

Unknown said...

It was me. I did it and you can't prove it apart from the fact that I just outed myself. It was going so well up until that point :(