26 August 2006

5 dimes

Doesn't anyone want dimes anymore? In two instances, I've tried to exchange dimes for quarters, but no one wants them. What's going on... does no one want my dimes?

Case 1 - I'm in the spooky Speedway car wash. There was some money already on the machine, and I put my $5.00 in. It's asking for another 42 cents so I can do the car wash. Even though the cheapy car wash is $6.00, it's asking for $0.42. Go figure. So I try to put dimes in, but it will only take quarters as change. Ugh. At this time, a car pulls up behind me, so I ask if he could exchange 5 dimes for 2 quarters... he says no, don't worry about it, and gives me the quarters. With my thanks, I squeeze back into the car, and put in the 2 quarters. The machine accepts it, but now says I owe another 17 cents. This machine does crazy math, considering it won't take pennies. So I mange to scrounge out another quarter, and put it in the machine. It now speaks to me in a southern accent -- Welcome to the Speedway car WaRsh. (Yes, it actually says WARSH!) My car starts to pull forward, and I'm left wondering two things:
1) I only paid 5.75, for the car wash (Well 5 and a quarter) and I still owed 17 cents.
2) Why wouldn't the guy take the dimes?

Case 2 - I needed air in my bike tire. I pull up to the air machine at the gas station, only to find they are charging for AIR -- what a rip off. Well, this being the day after the car wash, I still had no quarters, but I did have the dimes. I walk up to the attendant and ask if I could exchange my 5 dimes for 2 quarters, and he just says he'll turn on the machine. First of all, why are they charging for air? And secondly, what's wrong with my DIMES???


Ugh!

4 comments:

Design Goddess said...

Maybe dimes are going the way of the pennies???

I would take your dimes if you offered them to me! Send 'em my way and in exchange I'll send you 50 pennies!!! :D

Unknown said...

Yeah I know how you feel!! I have plenty of dimes too and I can't get rid of them over here either!! *wink*

Melanie Miday-Stern said...

UGH! Oh the joy of not having the correct change when needed. I feel for you, I really do. I can't believe that they charge for Air?? WTHeck!! Sounds like a liberal out there wanting to make a DIME!!! ROFL

Design Goddess said...

Um...lots of places charge for air nowadays. God bless the almighty doll...uh dime! :D